Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Hello There, Old Acquaintance

So apparently, in a stroke of genius some months back, I was inspired to register a blog. It seems that in said stroke of genius, I thought I'd have, in the future, some deep, meaningful, possibly poignant things to say, and that I would say them in a deep, meaningful, and possibly poignant manner, salt-and-peppered with outstanding punctuation.

Fast-forward to now, and it seems that I haven't the faintest idea of what is blog-worthy, who would read this blog, or what nuggets of wisdom I'd be compelled to share on it. In hindsight, it must have been during a serious lull in work that I thought this would be a brilliant idea, since I've been fortunate enough to be swamped with writing assignments for the past season. Which is something I'm definitely not complaining about. In fact, I wish I were so neck-high in writing assignments that I wasn't babbling in this asinine fashion on this page, but there you have it. I apparently have plateaued for the time being in work, and am in desperate need of something NOT day job-related to do.

It's even possible, now that I think of it, that I started this blog in lieu of the online portfolio I've begun to put together with my buddy up in Brooklyn, Ben Paddock. Although we only worked together for a few months before he made the move up to New York, my stomping grounds, we hit it off and after many Adium conversations, decided that a portfolio site for me would be a fun and rewarding project for him to build his own portfolio with. (And offering creative control always causes artistic eyes to gleam with excitement, which almost justifies the bargain basement rate he quoted me.)

Anyway, that's obviously my main job/gig-hunting platform, or will be once the damned thing is finally up, so the blog becomes nearly a moot point.

Or does it?

Ramblings like this do need a vehicle, right? If not for an intended audience, this is far less depressing and pointless than a diary or journal entry, far more sane than mumbling out loud to oneself, and far enough out there that it could be fun. After all, I could very well have some Very Important things to say as I pack my rucksack as I attempt to journey the road to Important-ness. Maybe when I get to where I hope I'm heading, I'll look back at this post and go, "How trite! How very cliche! How utterly EMBARRASSING!!!" ... or go, "Wow, I was good even then" ... or even, "How pretentiously British (no offense, of course) I sound in stream-of-consciousness." But hey -- every mile needs its marker, potential shame and all.

Here's to high hopes, big dreams, hard work, and maybe the beginning of something really big as this year and this month celebrates my first appearance in Real Glossies, society mag St. Charles Avenue, New Orleans Bride, and Louisiana Cookin'.

And for you, my imaginary reader who may or may not exist now or in the future, here's hoping that I'll have something good to say. Words, punctuated.

No comments: